Looking for Free Food? Come to the SLOHS Marketplace tonight!

Students searching for free dinner and fun shirts should look no further than the SLOHS Marketplace. Photo Courtesy of senior Lauren Weyel.

Today after school from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., the San Luis Obispo High School Marketplace will be holding its first event of the year. The event is to encourage school spirit and excitement on the opening night of the SLOHS theater production of “Radium Girls.” The play opens at 7:00 p.m. but students can buy tickets starting at 6:30 p.m. 

“I can’t wait to bring my whole family for food and the drama production. GO EBEN!” said SLOHS English teacher Scott Nairne.

The event will showcase a variety of arts programs on campus. At the marketplace, Chef Jaggers and the Culinary Arts students will provide almost twelve hundred appetizers for students. These appetizers include treats inspired by Dia de Los Muertos. Additionally, the Culinary Arts students have made and bottled Mango Chutney, Hot Pepper Jelly, and Sauerkraut, and the Advanced Graphic Design students have made labels and packaging for the bottles. 

Ceramics has made hanging succulent planters to display alongside lots of student artwork from other arts and graphics classes. “Two of my art pieces are going to be hanging up. One of them is a geometric rendering, which is a lot of shading, and the other is a scratchboard project,” said senior Art 1 student Sophia Liu. Alternate posters designed for Radium Girls will also be on display.

If you’re looking for fun shirts to show off your school spirit, this event has you covered. Digital arts teacher Zachary Roper will be helping students screenprint skeleton themed SLOHS tiger shirts with glow-in-the-dark ink. English teacher and newspaper supervisor Scott Nairne will have SLOHS Expressions shirts available for a donation. “[The shirts] are yellow and black and awesome. I’m printing them out with Roper during fifth period prep, so they’re handmade,” said Nairne.

Make sure you come over to the Marketplace today after school to check it out!