“24 Hour Musical”: a review of the most chaotic, entertaining, and stressful way to spend a weekend

How to be a basketball hoop. Graphic Courtesy of Senior Olivia Cusick.

San Luis Obispo High School has a large theater department, and one of the easiest ways for students to get involved is the annual 24 Hour Musical. The 2022 – 2023 production was directed by senior Linsday Smith and English teacher and SLOHS Performing Arts Company’s artistic director Ms. Eben. 

With over 30 students involved in both the theatrical and technical parts of the production, the performance took place, Saturday, September 10, at 7 o’clock, just as planned.

“I really enjoyed the 24 hour musical. It was a great experience because we were all in a rush. You got to bond with people really quickly” said freshman Erin Rittger.

The title of ‘24 hour musical’ often causes alarm from those not involved in theater. A common misconception is that the actors will literally perform for 24 hours. Instead, actors will learn the songs and script within those 24 hours, while the technical crew creates the set, prepares the light designs, and prepare the costumes. 

Another misconception is that the production literally takes 24 hours to create. Rather, it takes about three days. Students auditioned after school on Thursday, September 8. The cast list was released that night. Rehearsals started after school on Friday, September 9, Four to eight. The actors returned at nine, Saturday morning. 

“My favorite part would have to be playing the basketball hoop. I just got to stand in the back a lot for songs and just hold up a basketball hoop. It was very enjoyable” said sophomore Avery Johnson.

With the nighttime break, the production time is actually about fourteen hours. In that time, actors learnt 70 pages of script and 9 songs.

“The 24 hour musical is just great. It takes a minute to get to know everybody and get used to the flow of how things are. But it’s one hundred percent worth it. The people you meet are super great. It becomes super fun. It just takes a bit to adjust” said junior Aubrey O’Leary.

While the 24 hour production of this school year is over, SLOHS PAC’s work is not. With D. W. Gregory’s Radium Girls premiering in late October, as well as an unannounced musical in late March, students have plenty of time to get involved with the team. 

Via: http://www.slohsdrama.com/