ASB artists: who makes all these posters, graphics, and school spirit decorations?

Graphic design is a hefty commitment. Photo Courtesy of senior Olivia Cusick

San Luis Obispo High School’s Associated Student Body is an integral part of the student life at SLOHS. The team of approximately 35 students is in charge of planning for school dances, events, and raising school spirit.

Four students specifically are constantly raising tiger pride with their artwork: junior Flannery Clausen and seniors Memphis Powel, Gavin Wren, and Nicole Immoos. 

Clausen is in her second year as ASB’s social media commissioner. 

“I knew I wanted to be in ASB from seeing my brothers in it and how involved they became, so I applied to be commissioner of publicity. In my interview, I submitted both physical and digital artwork from my portfolio, and after seeing my digital art Mr. Johnson suggested social media so I could utilize digital design,” said Clausen.

Running the Instagram and Tiktok, Clausen works daily to update students and parents on school activities, including sports, rally information, and other ASB-related activities. 

Clausen discovered a passion for graphic design.

“I like making templates for posts and keeping the theme of the page inciting so people can look at it and see coherent ideas of our school throughout” said Clausen. Outside of school, she runs social media for a local energy business.

Immoos and Powel are in charge of the offline art, working together as ASB’s commissioners of publicity.

Immoos’s job is primarily to create posters. “My favorite parts of ASB are getting involved with the spirit of the school, creating a campus where we all feel as one, and working together to make school fun!” 

Once the team knows what events will be happening for the week, they create a to-do list of posters needed. “We use a lot of color in our marketing for the student’s attention,” said Immoos.

Wren is ASB’s commissioner of video technology. Daily, Wren is creating videos for ASB events, to help contribute to tiger spirit. 

“Art is a major part of ASB. I definitely think all the posters and videos all help people show up to events,” said Wren. 

All SLOHS students currently have the opportunity to create a tiger logo for school merch and contribute to ASB’s art program.

More information about the competition can be found at SLOHSARTS on Instagram.