What fun summer activities are SLOHS students doing to stay healthy?

Photo Courtesy of 2022 SLOHS graduate Kai Winstead-LeRoy

For many, summer is a time to relax and take time off from the school year. Whether it be chilling at home or having fun with friends, summer opens up many students’ schedules. One thing that almost certainly changes is students’ exercise routines. 

“I think that I will definitely be able to work out consistently because I don’t have school and I want to be in shape for college this fall. I am definitely joining a gym and actually working out,” said 2022 SLOHS graduate Alex Caprau.

Students are using the extra time to go out and do things around town with their friends. For many this would be going to the beach or going on hikes. There are countless short hikes and parks hidden throughout the county, easy to access for anyone in need.

“I really like to go on hikes with my friends and walk my dogs. The Felsman Loop is a good short one that can be done over summer,” said 2022 SLOHS graduate Sage Becklin.

Many other students are leaving town over break in order to experience other areas of the country. Many of them are continuing their exercise while also enjoying the natural beauty of the world.

“I am going to be doing a lot of biking over the summer. I’m going to Montana to bike around up there and do some biking trips. It’s one of my main interests that I can enjoy over summer,” said senior Bode Brooker.

Students that play sports are also continuing their work over summer, especially graduates that will be competing in their sport in college. Many athletes see that exercise and work over summer to be essential to improving their performance.

“Since I play tennis that is mostly what I am doing for exercise. I play almost every day and that will continue throughout the rest of summer. I kind of have to keep playing because I will be playing in a club at the University of Arizona next year, ” said Caprau.

Regardless of their reasons, students at SLOHS are keeping active and healthy over summer break.