“The Batman” hits theaters: it is worth a watch

Photo courtesy of cnn.com

“The Batman” recently premiered in the United States on March 1, and is set to be released internationally on March 4. For San Luis Obispo High School students who are fans of superheroes or action movies in general, the film is definitely worth a watch.

This is the newest addition to the DC Universe’s collection of movies (although it is technically part of the DC Extended Universe similar to “Joker”), with the last movie being “The Suicide Squad” in August of 2021. DC movies have a reputation of not living up to the expectations of the audience, especially in comparison to superhero movies that come from the Marvel universe. However, this movie deviates from the trend and does not disappoint.

In the movie, Batman is played by Robert Pattinson, replacing Ben Affleck who played Batman in Justice League and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Pattinson’s version of Batman follows the character, not from his childhood like other origin movies, but from 20 years after his parents are murdered when he is still a more inexperinced crime fighter/detective. Unlike other Batman movies, the movie really focuses on this important part of Batman’s development, showing the growth of his character throughout. This is part of the reason why much of the film focuses on the hero Batman rather than Bruce Wayne.

The movie’s cinematography also matches the vibe of the movie perfectly. The movie relies on black and red colors, helping to set the mood for a dark and bloody Gotham that is expected in a Batman movie. Unlike other superhero movies, it wasn’t flashy and didn’t overuse explosions or cheesy fight scenes, allowing the audience to connect with the emotional and personal growth of Batman.

“I really didn’t expect the movie to be this good. I definitely recommend that people watch it if they can,” said senior Talia Doane.

So if you like action or just need a good blockbuster film to watch, consider “The Batman”.

Sources: cnn.com