Here are San Luis Obispo High School’s Current Safety Protocols in 2021

Photo Courtesy of ksby.com

On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 in Oxford Michigan, there was a school shooting at Oxford High School. Four students were shot and killed and seven others were injured. 

The thought of something like this happening at San Luis Obispo High School can be a little nerve-racking at times. However, it isn’t completely out of the ordinary considering situations we have experienced before. 

On September 10, 2021 our school received a bomb threat from an unknown caller out of the area. The call was a prank but it shocked many of our students at first.

“I was really confused and kind of scared at first just because no one was telling us anything and nobody knew what was happening. But I mean eventually, I was just chillin’ and everything was great,” said freshman Alani Kiaha. 

Because events like these are fairly common in today’s world, students are used to them. Teachers can also feel unsettled during these situations.

“Teachers really depend on student support for these situations to go well. It is also tricky when students know more information than teachers.  My students actually had information before I did during the threat” said English teacher Lynnly Sainsbury. 

With this incident in mind, our SLOHS administration is reviewing our protocols to help keep our students safe if anything like this were to happen at SLOHS.

“The recent school shooting in Michigan was devastating. When a horrific event like that happens, it gives us another opportunity to review our procedures to ensure we are doing all we can to keep our students and staff safe,” said assistant principal Desiree Dellinger. 

Administrators and teachers have had meetings to go over the protocols ensuring the safety of our students here at SLOHS. Our staff and even our students must know the correct procedures in case of an emergency. 

‘In the event of an intruder, the response of staff depends on the known location of the intruder. If the location of a class is away from the stated intruder, staff would direct students to run and evacuate to an area off-campus. If a class is in an area close to the intruder, staff will direct students to hide,” said Dellinger.

These are just a few of the rules that SLOHS has in place in case we have an intruder on campus.

Dellinger says that if students are at all unsure of the protocols that are to be followed during emergencies, to ask your teacher(s)! 

Source: cnn.com