“Will Marvel and DC stand the test of time?”

Photo courtesy of theverge.com

San Luis Obispo High School superhero fans may have noticed that the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) hasn’t been incredible throughout its eight film-run. However, this has been changing recently.

Critics and audiences alike were surprised and delighted by “The Suicide Squad,” a film directed by James Gunn, and some fans warmed up to the Justice League after the Zack Snyder edition was released. While the DCEU struggled to start, it seems to be on the rise. Despite this rise, the DCEU may not be as sustainable as the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).

This insupportability is due to the characters.

“DC characters are much, much worse than Marvel characters,” said freshman Anja Reed.

Fans and critics alike have never shown any attachment to the core heroes that represent the DCEU. Compare this to Marvel, where millions of people were moved by the deaths of Iron Man and Black Widow, where even the supporting characters are now receiving the spotlight and handling it well.

The DCEU has essentially boxed themselves into a corner with past films, preventing their characters from being likable people based off of their past personas. “The Justice League,” was supposed to be the DCEU’s form of “The Avengers,” yet the DCEU film was the lowest-grossing movie in their roster.

“The Justice League [was] stupid,” said sophomore Alma Tinoco Juarez.

The future for the DCEU remains in balance, in sharp contrast to Marvel Studios. While Marvel Studios has the entire phase four and an idea of five planned out, the DCEU has no plans beyond “The Batman,” and “Black Adam,” along with Aquaman and Shazam sequels and “The Flash.”

While this may seem like a lot, once this year is done, there will only be one movie left for the DCEU in their future. If the DCEU doesn’t fix their characters or begin linking movies like the MCU, the DCEU will soon be forgotten.