What are SLOHS students doing to protect themselves against Omicron?

Photo courtesy of senior and editor Sofia Shaw

As San Luis Obispo high school students returned to school after winter break, COVID cases across school and the country have risen. Students have been adjusting to these cases in several different ways. 

“With a rise of cases I wear my mask outside especially in the halls and upgraded the mask to have a filter,” said senior Jessie Goodman.

Around school people have been double-masking, wearing heavy duty masks (KN95s and N95s) or not changing their mask habits.  Students have had to be hyper-aware about potential exposures considering the extremely transmissible nature of the Omicron variant. 

“I’ve definitely been more diligent about wearing my mask and social-distancing. Also just keeping my circle small to limit exposure” said senior Emily Russel. 

Many students have noticed their peers have been absent in large volumes with upwards of 15 students being missing in a single class.

SLOHS has been offering free rapid tests to students who have been exposed to COVID-19 and gave them out prior to winter break in order to limit exposures when coming back to school. 

Omicron has even forced students to make further adjustments socially and academically. 

“Omicron limits my amount of hangouts with my friends to smaller groups and outside. Academically it’s harder to focus in class when I’m aware that so many people are sick and missing and I could have it without knowing” said Goodman. 

The degree to which a person tries to protect themself depends on their lifestyle. Most students seem to be protecting themselves relatively well.

Stay healthy Tigers!