For quick updates on city council: Mayor Erica Stewart has a solution

Photo collage courtesy of senior Owen Spargo

Recently elected San Luis Obispo Mayor Erica Stewart has continued her attempts to increase community engagement for SLO citizens by posting biweekly recaps of city council meetings for the community. The posts present an efficient and simple way for San Luis Obispo High School students to become more involved with and knowledgeable about their local government and its policymaking.

Stewart’s Instagram @ericaslocitymayor has its feed filled with all types of posts ranging from events the mayor attends to important infographics. One recurring post is the meeting recap: a short 3-4 slide that summarizes the city council meetings that occur every other Tuesday.

Stewart does this in the hopes of creating a simple tool for citizens to catch up on the policymaking of their city without having to sit through the city council meetings that have now moved back to Zoom. 

“I think a lot of students don’t keep up with the city council so it’s nice to hear that they can use social media to do so. For me, I definitely appreciate the ability to know what’s happening in my city as someone who will be able to vote soon as well,” said junior Erin Chae.

For example, the most recent recap featured information on the Madonna bike path, the Sustainable Groundwater Management Plan, and more. 

Make sure to check out the Instagram to stay updated on your city and community, Tigers!