Winter break Omicron: A virus that spreads twice as quickly as Delta

Omicron, a relatively recent variant of the COVID-19 disease that originated from South Africa, has spread to people across the globe through its highly contagious nature.

The virus itself had already spread to Botswana, Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel on November 24, 2021, a mere 15 days after the first patient was infected with the variant. Shortly after the Omicron was reported to the WHO (World Health Organization,) travel in many Sub-saharan African countries was stopped.

According to a New York Times article, “[Omicron] appears to be spreading because of a mix of its contagiousness and its ability to dodge the body’s immune defenses.”

Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the top medical advisor to President Biden, has been monitoring the rate of the spread of variants in the United States and has found that Omicron has already entered 10 states. The Omicron has posed another important question to the populace; should I get a booster shot?

After all, a fully vaccinated woman who had travelled home from South Africa was discovered to have been infected with the Omicron, so more defense may be needed. A booster shot could provide extra protection against Omicron, though scientists are not sure.

“Although we haven’t proven it yet, there’s every reason to believe that if you get vaccinated and boosted that you would have at least some degree of cross protection, very likely against severe disease, even against the Omicron variant,” Fauci reports in a press briefing.

Though the validity of Fauci’s assurances has not yet been proved, more information will be released as more studies are conducted.

Sources: bbc.com , nytimes.com

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-59438723
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/03/world/omicron-variant-covid