Australian band 5 Seconds of Summer releases their celebratory new single

Photo courtesy of nme.com

Australian pop-rock band 5 Seconds of Summer recently released their new single ‘2011’ as a celebration of the group’s tenth anniversary performing together, a good song for San Luis Obispo High School students looking for some nostalgia. 

Released on December 3, the song features members Luke Hemmings, Ashton Irwin, Michael Clifford, and Calum Hood and discusses the band members missing the time when they first started in 2011. This is the first song fans have heard since their last album, “Calm”, which was released in March of 2020.

“I used to listen to them when I was younger, so it’s definitely interesting to hear that they have a new song about their past. I’m sure a lot of people in our generation can agree,” said junior Erin Chae.

The song repeats the phrase “I miss the days” to describe all the new struggles the band’s members are facing after becoming older, something that many fans can relate to. In the main chorus, vocalist Luke Hemmings sings, “Can we just go back, go back to 2011?” which presents the main message of the song: that the band wishes they could go back to simpler times.

Although the song is a bit repetitive in its lyrics and rhythm, it helps to create a nostalgic feeling as the song sounds reminiscent of pop-rock from 2010.

It is also refreshing to hear a boy-band, something that seems increasingly rare in a time when many big artists have solo careers compared to the early 2000s.

So if you’re in need of some nostalgia, make sure to give ‘2011’ a listen.