Finals are over. How is your stress level?

Photo courtesy of senior Stella McSween.

Our first trimester finals here at San Luis Obispo High School have come to end, leaving students relieved. The amount of stress caused by final exams is not a new topic, but there is a new element to the stress this year.

The 2021-2022 school year is the first full school year back from the COVID-19 lockdown and students are getting readjusted to in person finals. For over a year and a half, students haven’t had to go through in person finals. This could be reflected by stress levels or test scores.

“I think finals were a cause of stress for students of all grades. A lot of my friends were a bit stressed. I really appreciate that some of the teachers have done their part to lessen the pressure,” said senior Henry C. Carter.

Carter jokingly added, “The school should have provided therapy cats loose on campus to combat the evils of test taking.”

SLOHS FFA did have the therapy dogs out last week at lunch. Not much help for cat guys, though.

Other students, however, found stress in other areas leading up to finals. 

“My mental health was more on the decline from the incline of homework I have to do,” said sophomore Cal Lanier from Tiger News Network.

In one way or another, it’s fair to say that a good majority of SLOHS students have faced finals-related stress.

While last trimester’s finals have ended, students are still going to be tasked with two more throughout this year. It’s important to remember that the stress caused by finals is fleeting and to enjoy your Thanksgiving break!