Astroworld’s horror concert; Will it change the nature of future concerts?

Photo Courtesy of Seanna Faith, attendee of Travis Scott’s Astroworld Concert. 

After the recent horrific events at rapper Travis Scott’s Music festival, Astroworld, the aftermath leaves many teens, including students at San Luis Obispo High School, questioning future concerts. The event left 8 people dead, ages ranging from ages 14-23 suffocated and trampled to death in the crowds.

The personal narratives from this terrible circumstance are haunting. One post on instagram, from @SeannaFaith, explained that the 50,000 people being crushed to the stage were unable to move. 

Sinkholes of people rose everywhere, she explained the visual of a person finally giving out from the lack of air and disappearing into the crowd of people. Falling to the ground she wrote of the piles of bodies, people continued to dance and enjoy the music as many lay on the ground, two bodies thick, people continued to dance. 8 dead, from a concert. 

The stories continue to hit the news, how does this affect SLOHS?

Well, the security and safety of concerts are at question. The expected number of people and the preparation for that number is immensely important, or else the outcome can be devastating. The safety of teens going to concerts needs to be brought to light. Many of the students at SLOHS enjoy going to concerts with friends. So being safe at these events needs to be a top priority of not only the people attending, but also the security and artists at the concerts. 

“The security and safety of the people at that concert was beyond disappointing. There were people, like Seanna, making their way to the security team to scream for help, but the staff did nothing. Their priorities were skewed from the safety of the crowd, and rather focused on the success of Travis’ performance. This needs to change, when my friends and I go to concerts, I want to be able to enjoy the environment around me. To feel safe. These videos and stories make me concerned for the future of attending concerts,” said senior Olivia Keller.

San Luis Obispo High School students, please be aware of the exits, and people around you when attending concerts. The families of those lost at Travis Scott’s concerts were taken unfairly. Deaths at something as joyous and celebratory as a concert should never be imaginable.