Senior Sofia Latta Has a Plan for the Future

Photo courtesy of senior Sofia Latta.

It’s not a surprise that many San Luis Obispo High School students have plans to go onto four-year colleges to further their education after high school. For some, they know exactly what they want to do and how to do it. 

Expressions set out to interview senior Sofia Latta about her plans for after high school, which she is very passionate about.

Expressions: What’s your plan for and after college?

Senior Sofia Latta: I want to go to a four year college and then another four years of dental school. I plan on majoring in some type of biology or possibly environmental science.

Expressions: What made you want to go down this certain career path?

Latta: The summer before sophomore year, I went with my dad to Cambodia. There, I got to assist him in providing dental care to hundreds of pediatric patients. I loved seeing the impact he had on their lives and also the artistic and satisfying side of dentistry.

Expressions: How long have you known that you wanted to go into the dental field, and why do you want to do it?

Latta: Ever since this trip, I started working in my dad’s dental office assisting and sterilizing instruments. It’s super cool to get to see all the different procedures he does. I’ve known that I want to be a dentist ever since traveling to Cambodia three years ago. I love helping people and using my hands and tools, so I think dentistry will be a good fit for me.

Latta, enriched by her first-hand experience helping people through dental care, has found a career so early in her life that she is incredibly passionate about. By exploring certain aspects of a job, one can find unexpected parts they enjoy, like how Latta enjoys the artistic side of dentistry. 

These small moments can make a huge impact careerwise, so it never hurts to explore the options at hand. Among the SLOHS student body, Latta’s love for her career is recognizable and admirable.