How Has The Construction Around SLO Town Been Affecting SLOHS Students?

Photo courtesy of senior Talia Doane.

San Luis Obispo High School students are rushing to and from school on a daily basis. With new construction off campus and around town, students now have to find alternative faster routes to reach school, as they scramble to arrive on time.

Expressions set out to find more information about the new routes and gather students’ opinions.

“There’s a lot of traffic because of the roundabouts. It takes longer to get home because then you have to go through the neighborhood and everyone is turning that way. The cut off at Orcutt and Tank Farm makes everything so much longer because you have to go through, rather than around,” said senior Coco Israel. 

New construction to happen this week around San Luis Obispo includes replacing cross gutter at Higuera and Carmel, lowering utilities in the Roadway at Higuera from Nipomo to Marsh; installing truncated domes at Higuera and Marsh street ramps; raising utilities in the roadway at Johnson from Mill to Philips; and demoing base with sidewalk, ramps, driveways, etc. on Nipomo St. from Islay to Leff.

This new construction is said to not block roads for pedestrians and the commute to downtown will still be available. Residents, however, may need to expect some temporary lane closure for the duration of this project. 

“I’m kind of nervous for the construction coming downtown because I work downtown and hope the route I take will still be accessible. The way to school already ruined my normal route so I would rather not have to make a new one for work as well,” said senior Etienne Brennan. 

Students and staff around campus can only hope that this construction will finish up before long and everyone can get back to their normal routes to and from school, as well as around town in general.

Watch out for the new construction, and find new routes!

Source: City of SLO Instagram