Are you interested in the history of the media? Check out the podcast “You’re Wrong About”

Photo Courtesy of senior and editor Sofia Shaw

San Luis Obispo High School students are constantly devouring new media and news. However, if one were to be interested in the media and history they should give “You’re Wrong About” a listen. Hosted by journalist Sarah Marshall and journalist Michael Hobbes, “You’re Wrong About” recounts events that were misconstrued in the public eye, and try to give further insight into the truth about the events. 

Marshall and Hobbes cover a range of topics from former football player O.J. Simpson to “The Satanic Panic” all while maintaining an air of professionalism and having a sense of humor. They’re engaging and enthusiastic hosts that draw the listener in about essentially any historical media event. 

The episode “The Chicks vs. The Iraq War” is one of many examples of Hobbes and Marshall’s excellent research skills. They recount the background of the popular pop-country band “The Chicks” and the events leading up to a concert in 2003 where they stated that they were ashamed former president, George W. Bush was from Texas, their home state. They continued to issue anti-war sentiment but eventually did apologize for disrespecting president Bush. Marshall and Hobbes delve into the consequences of their statements and what was one of the first instances of “cancelling” a public figure online. There were entire message boards dedicated to hating “The Chicks”.  The hosts also get into how highly censored media was in a recent post 9/11 world, citing specific incidences of censorship. 

History fanatics will love this podcast but it’s accessible enough that most people will enjoy it. Give “You’re Wrong About” a listen.