SLOHS Expressions Student editors Worked hard this Summer

Photo courtesy of senior Eden Lerner.

With summer coming to an end, so are most summer jobs. Since the pandemic left many unemployed, a surplus of jobs became available in and around San Luis Obispo county which San Luis Obispo High School (SLOHS) students snatched up. Whether it was solely to get cash, to save for college, or any other reason, Expressions wanted to find out why students decided to spend their off time from school working. 

“I decided to work over the summer because I need money to save up for college expenses and to have some extra cash to spend on stuff. I would work a lot of eight hour shifts, which sucked, but it really would pay off when I got my check. I’m going to continue to work during the school year, but only on weekends,” said senior Talia Doane, who worked at House Of Bagels.

Even though a summer job is time consuming, it is still viable to have fun when there is time off. Working may be someone’s sole focus for the summer, for others it is just a way to spend all of their free time, and make money while doing so. 

“I made sure that I had time to have fun outside of work because work was not the most important thing in my life during the summer. Working was nice because I was making money to spend on clothes and food, but the actual working part I didn’t enjoy much. I really tried to have a lot of fun outside of it. I wanted to make sure that I could remember having a fun summer, and not one full of doing something I don’t necessarily enjoy,” said senior Eden Lerner, who worked at SLO Provisions.

Summer is a chance to do whatever an individual may choose. Hanging with friends, surfing waves, taking classes, working, or doing anything else, there is lots of time to manage having fun. Just ask Doane or Lerner.