The Teaching Profession Doesn’t Work for Everyone: Why SLOHS Teachers Are Leaving

Saying goodbye is hard. Photo courtesy of senior Olivia Cusick.   

San Luis Obispo High School is not just a collection of students and staff: it’s people. It’s easy for students to forget about the other students around them, let alone the adults. The teaching career is a draining one, that takes a lot out of teachers, specifically newer ones. 

For math teachers Ryan Perez and Maria Ramirez-Camacho, the 2022 – 2023 school year will be their last with SLOHS. 

Expressions interviewed Ramirez-Camacho and Perez to celebrate the time they spent at SLOHS.

Expressions: What was the decision to leave SLOHS like?

Math teacher Maria Ramirez-Camacho: The decision to leave SLOHS (and teaching in general) has been really difficult. It took a long time to come to terms with the fact that, despite my passion for teaching and working with students, I’m ready to move on and pursue a different path.

Math teacher Ryan Perez: It was definitely not a decision I took lightly, considering how much the school, students, and staff have meant to me during my time here. However, in the end, it was the right decision at this point in my career and I am grateful for the support I have received from everyone.

Expressions: How would you describe your time here?

Ramirez-Camacho: My time here has been great overall! I’m lucky to have taught at this school, specifically. I’ve met wonderful students and staff over the last five years, and will always be grateful for those connections.

Perez: My time at SLOHS has been an incredible experience from start to finish. I remember interviewing for the job seven years ago and walking down the red stairs with a view of Cerro San Luis and Bishop’s and hoping I would get the opportunity to work in such a beautiful place. Seven years later, I have no regrets and can look back on my time here and consider it time well spent. In fact, during that time, I fell so much in love with this town that I never want to leave!

Expressions: If you could change anything about your experience, what would it be?

Perez: Less grading! But, honestly, I’m not sure I would feel the need to change anything. There were certainly many memorable moments as well as extremely challenging ones, but all of that is what brought me to where I am today, and I’m pretty happy with where I am/where I’m going. 

Expressions: What advice would you give to future staff, or students entering the teaching profession? 

Ramirez-Camacho: The advice that was given to me that was really helpful, and that I’d share with students entering the teaching profession, is to be yourself. Students always notice when you’re inauthentic, and will appreciate when you’re genuine. I also think that having a good work/life balance is crucial.

Perez: Empathize with your students, ask for help and learn from your mistakes, and never let work overshadow your own life. Basically, learn to say no, and learn to give yourself a break from time to time. The teaching profession is extremely rewarding and fulfilling, but if you are the kind of person that finds joy in helping others, you cannot lose sight of the fact that you need to help yourself as well. To go back to a previous question, one thing I might have changed about my experience is to know when to give myself a break and to acknowledge that mistakes will be made, but that’s okay. 

Expressions: What is next for you?

Ramirez-Camacho: No idea! I dedicated my entire college education to preparing to become a teacher, and I’m not sure what other careers suit me. I do have my bachelor’s degree in math and can see myself applying that somehow.

Perez: College! I’ll be going to Cal Poly to get a Master of Science in Business Analytics (basically a blend of computer science, statistics, and marketing). My hope is that I can leverage my experience as a High School Math teacher as well as my educational background to get into the EdTech (education technology) industry. In the meantime, though, I also plan on starting a tutoring business! 

Expressions: What can students, staff, and administration do differently, if anything, to make this experience more pleasant?

Ramirez-Camacho: Nothing! Everyone has been really supportive and understanding, which I really appreciate.

Perez: I would say the experience was already quite pleasant! Although, one thing I would hope for is that the community at large understands that–when done well–teaching is an extremely demanding job. It is so much more than standing in front of a classroom. In addition to being a teacher, a lot of us are counselors, nurses, mediators, custodians, safe havens, and creators of future citizens. A lot is expected of us, and the only ask I would have is that teachers are trusted to do the job they were hired to do. 

Expressions: Do we know who is filling your roles? 

Ramirez-Camacho: Science teacher and AVID coordinator Kyle Harmon will be taking over my AVID class, but I am not sure who will be replacing me in the math department. I am sure it will be someone great!

Perez: I am a little out of the loop on this one, but I do know that an opening was posted for my job and that some people were interviewed. It is a very desirable position and I am sure that whoever is replacing me will be more than capable of filling my shoes!

Expressions: In the years you were here, what are your favorite memories/moments?

Ramirez-Camacho: There are a lot of great moments I’ve had over the years, but one of my favorites has been creating a time capsule with my current sophomore AVID students at the end of their freshman year (June 2022). The students and I put mementos and other items in the capsule with the intention of opening it before graduation, and it was just a beautiful and nostalgic way to commemorate our first year together as an AVID community. Although it really makes me sad that I won’t be the one to guide these students through the rest of their high school careers, I will definitely visit when they open the time capsule in 2025!

Perez: There are so many moments, but I’ll try to just name a few. First off, I am incredibly lucky to have been a part of the math department here at SLO High. It is a very strong group of teachers, and I felt their support from the very beginning. I have made so many lifelong friends within the staff and will continue to stay in touch long after I leave. Being able to teach AP Stats was another one of my favorite experiences, especially being able to work with so many gifted students over the years. Coaching soccer (the sport I love) was definitely up there as well, especially winning the league with the girls this last season! 

Perez and Ramirez-Camacho are not alone. Large groups of teachers have been leaving the profession in the past few years. The turnover rate for teachers is at the highest level in the past five years, even higher than during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

44 percent of all teachers leave the profession within their first five years of employment. There is a much bigger problem with the country’s education system. 

In the 23 days left of the 2022 – 2023 school year, be sure to wish Perez and Ramirez-Camacho the best of luck in their future endeavors!
Sources: pbs.org, usatoday.com