Dancing, Dodgeball, and New Friendships: The Tempelton Theater Festival Experience Rules

Members of the San Luis Obispo High School Performing Arts Company represented SLOHS at the Templeton Theater Festival. Photo Collage Courtesy of Arts and Entertainment editor Olivia Cusick. 

San Luis Obispo High School Performing Arts Company was able to represent SLOHS at the annual Templeton Theater Festival on January 29, 2023. Joining five other schools, SLOHS students were able to spend the day learning about all aspects of theatrical production and performing arts. 

Students arrived at Templetons campus around 8:30 a.m. Each school was given a thirty-minute time slot to showcase student scenes and discuss upcoming performances. After the talent showcase, students had a lunch break, and then took two classes of their choice. After a few rounds of dodgeball, students were given the chance to dance around on Templeton’s stage. 

“I really enjoyed Templeton Theatrefest, Everyone was super talented and it was really fun seeing everyone come together and bond over theater. I especially enjoyed the workshops” said Morro Bay High School sophomore Angus McNellie. 

The theater community is a wonderful group to be a part of. With all the schools nearby, it is important to acknowledge all the hard work and dedication that actors and technical crews put into these shows. More information about each school’s show can be found here, as well as the links to each theater programs website:

Templeton: “High School Musical”

Nipomo: “From Shakespeare With Love?” and “SchoolHouse Rock Live”

Morro Bay: “Addams Family”

San Luis Obispo: “Mamma Mia!”

A variety of workshops were offered during the day. The list included Swing / Waltz partnering, auditioning, acting for social change, costuming, prop building, wig styling and maintenance, as well as several others. 

“It was so heartwarming. I had the best time. Everyone was involved, not one person left behind, Everyone tried to make each other happy and welcome” said junior Téa Fischer.

Following the classes, Tempelton’s theater management class setup snacks and passed out gift bags. The students in that course worked hard to create an enjoyable and entertaining event. 

A day of singing, dancing, and dodgeball created an exciting and fun experience for theater kids from every school that attended.