Carrizo Plain’s SuperBloom is a Must See

One of the most beautiful experiences in Central California. All photos courtesy of senior Olivia Cusick

Two weeks ago, a few of my closest friends from San Luis Obispo High School joined me for a day trip up to the nature preserve Carrizo Plain National Monument. The awe inspiring view made the hour and half drive more than worth it. 

To make the trip in a timely fashion, we left around eight A.M. The heavy fog made us a little worried, but the clouds began to lift as we got closer to Carrizo Plain. 

Even before the fields of  flowers, the vibrance of the colors on the trip took us by surprise. 

The intense yellow made me think about English Singer / Songwriter Sting’s iconic song “Fields of Gold”. 

Once we got to the “Fields of Gold”, we decided to travel down a small windy road, and stumbled upon a patch of beautiful purple flowers. 

Superblooms come and go, the last California bloom was in 2019, but the Carrizo Plain superbloom is so powerful this year, that patches of yellow and purple can literally be seen from space. Students should take the hour and a half drive to view the life changing beauty of the superbloom. 
Sources: cbsnews.com