Why does Netflix cancel beloved (and queer) TV shows?

Yet another canceled Netflix Show?  Photo Courtesy of Netflix. 

Some San Luis Obispo High School students woke up to the news that the witty adult animated show about the United States government “Inside Job” was canceled by Netflix executives. 

“Inside Job” followed antisocial bisexual genius Reagan Ridley in her government job. The show puts context to popular conspiracy theories, like the idea that certain celebrities and government officials are actually lizard people. 

This isn’t the first time Netflix has pulled the plug on popular queer shows. “Everything Sucks”, “I am not okay with this” and “One Day at a Time” were all canceled in the past few years. Netflix cites that these cancellations were largely due to viewership, but those who watched the shows were passionate about and truly enjoyed them. 

“Netflix keeps canceling shows with diverse representation because they don’t think the canceled shows are getting enough traction. That wasn’t the case with shows like “Inside Job” or “I am not okay with this” which did well in their initial release only to be canceled after the announcement of another season. Shows with queer representation that were introduced straight away keep getting canceled by Netflix, while other shows that lead into representation later on remain longer. I feel like Netflix isn’t actually canceling things because of viewership but because they think they can’t profit off of diverse viewers” said junior Alma Tinco. 

For writer Shinon Takeuchi, “Inside Job” was her first time working beyond the script, as she was the creator, writer, and executive producer. 

“I’m heartbroken to confirm that Netflix has decided to cancel season 2 of “Inside Job”. Over the years, these characters have become real people to me, and I am devastated not to be able to watch them grow up” said Takeuchi. 

Netflix’s priorities are straight. As one of the biggest production companies in the world, numbers is all that matters. If a show isn’t gathering enough viewership, it doesn’t make sense to renew it.

It is always disappointing to say goodbye to characters, especially when they end on a cliffhanger. 

Netflix needs to be more mindful of their cancellations. Every show they stop hurts hundreds of people involved in the production, as well as fans who wanted to see characters they love get their happy endings.