Interested In Tarot Cards? Get Educated First.

Photo courtesy of people & culture editor Talia Doane.

Tarot cards are an interest of multiple San Luis Obispo High School students. But, many who are curious about tarot cards do not know the true culture nor meaning behind them. It is important for students, not only at SLOHS, to become educated about the true historical and cultural meaning behind tarot cards and crystals.

Tarot cards are used as a tool of divination. The cards likely originated from Europe with the Mamluk game cards brought from Turkey in the late 1500s or early 1600s. The Visconti-Sforza deck, the oldest surviving known set, was inspired by costumed figures in carnival parades.

“I’m still in the beginning stages of everything but I was drawn to it out of interest of self improvement and to spiritually learn to grow so that I can grow into a better version of myself. To me, it’s all about self discovery and a way to learn what you need to work on in life and I guess that basics into being a good person and a successful adult,” said senior Bella Nemling.

Divination cards provide a way for the reader to project specific ideas. Like scenes from a book, tarot cards illustrate a clear vision for the subject, allowing the reader to interpret them based on the messages of the cards.

Tarot cards have become an obsession of pop culture, specifically due to the substantial amount of TikTok readings entering the users For You Page. This has led to the media adopting various misconceptions regarding tarot cards, but many are still gaining exposure from various sources, other than TikTok.

“I love tarot cards. Unlike most people, my first exposure to tarot was through my spiritual mother and not tiktok or the mass media. Tarot cards can be as serious or playful as you want, because at the end of the day they are really just cards. They are supposed to help guide you to decisions and make revelations, but it is only as good as the intentions you bring. I love using tarot cards when I need advice or need to be guided in the right direction. They are so versatile and a fun, different medium to channel your energy,” said junior Mana Kiaha.

Spiritual practices and resources are something that many are able, and sometimes encouraged, to become involved with. The best way to start incorporating these practices into your own life is to get educated.

Sources: modachicago.org, mentalfloss.com