The SAT is moving online for 2024. What could go wrong?

Photo courtesy of news editor and senior Owen Spargo

The Collegeboard recently announced that the SAT test will move online for students taking it in 2024, further allowing inequity within the college application process.

The most obvious concern with this is the format for taking the test. The test will now take two hours instead of three, but it presents a problem for students who don’t have access to a computer or updated software that can take the exam successfully. 

We saw this same issue occur with online learning. In fact, a survey by the LA Times reports that districts serving low income communities, composed mainly of Latinx students, faced disparities as students “struggled for weeks, some more than a month, just to begin online learning” as they had to find a way to purchase computers and working hot spots.

“We were fortunate enough in our own district to have access to computers with online learning but that just isn’t the same for every district or school in the country. An online SAT would surely present difficulties for low-income students,” said senior Cevina Manzano.

Not only that, this move to online seems like an attempt from CollegeBoard to try and bring back standardized testing once more. Many schools have already moved test-optional temporarily or permanently and for good reason. Standardized tests have been proven ineffective at assessing the success of students, especially for those who can’t gain access to the same opportunities and resources for test preparation as others.

“I think it’s going to push back the progress universities have made in improving their admissions processes. We shouldn’t bring back standardized testing,” said junior Erin Chae.

Source: latimes.com