SLOHS Settings Must Adjust to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in 2022

Photo courtesy of Latimes.com

The recent surge of COVID-19 cases due to the highly contagious Omicron variant is a popular topic of conversation among parents, teachers, and students at San Luis Obispo High School and other schools across California. 

“There’s been so many cases lately, and I personally know a lot of people who got COVID-19 in the recent past, like over winter break. Schools just aren’t doing enough to protect more kids and teachers from getting it,” said junior Holly Latuska. 

The Oakland Unified School District closed twelve of their schools on Friday, January 8 because of the absences of 500 teachers. The teachers stayed at home for a rumored “sickout” because they believe that the district isn’t doing enough to keep students and staff safe. 

Similar to Oakland’s schools, COVID-19 cases are getting worse by the day at SLOHS. It is absolutely necessary for the school to take steps to prevent even further spread of the virus while it is still possible to do so.

Many school districts across California have already implemented more extensive safety measures, such as providing medical-grade masks for all students and staff and requiring testing.

Teachers, including the ones who participated in the Oakland sickout, are currently asking for better air filters in spaces that are usually heavily populated, like gymnasiums and cafeterias. These teachers are also advocating for no budget cuts to student services and extra support for school nurses.

If they were to be implemented, these upgrades would be highly beneficial and are sure to slow the spread of COVID-19. 

“I think that schools have the responsibility of making sure that kids are safe, so they have to start taking steps to actually stop more people from getting sick. We need more safety measures,” said Latuska.

At this point, it is vital to continue following the protocols in place, especially in public spaces like school. 

Sources: latimes.com