This Day in History: Steve Jobs Announced the First iPhone: How is it Still Impacting People’s Lives?

Photo Courtesy of usatoday.com

Yes, it’s been 15 years since the unveiling of our beloved iPhones and they are no less important than they were back then. The societal changes we have seen due to these magnificent boxes have truly changed our lives. 

While this invention may have come out a generation ago, it is still greatly impacting the youth of today. 

“It impacts me fully. You can talk to people, and get a hold of them in a much quicker way. People often open up on social media, whether they like it or not. It’s people’s way to feel heard, and that didn’t really exist 15 years ago,” said sophomore Maya Orgill. 

Phones have definitely become part of our lives, and that doesn’t always have to be a bad thing. Many of these aspects have uplifted people’s lives.

“Communication with my friends and family has become a lot more accessible. I also feel really safe carrying my phone around, knowing that just in case of emergency I have someone to call,” said sophomore Lucy Shrubb. 

The masterful invention we call a phone was not easy to come by, but it truly made a lot of our lives easier. And I believe that whether you look at 2007, 2022, or even 2100, phones will still be one of the biggest ‘game-changers’ known to man.