How are SLOHS Students Celebrating Christmas this year?

Photo courtesy of sophomore Erika Spargo

With Christmas just one day away, those who celebrate this special holiday are preparing for a time of family, fun, and traditions. Ranging from special household recipes to lights and decorations to the traditional practice of gifting presents under the tree, students at San Luis Obispo High School who celebrate Christmas are ready with their plans.

“My family and I are hoping to go to Canada and reconnect with our family who we haven’ seen in about two years this Christmas. We’re looking forward to the usual Christmas celebration and just having a good time,” said sophomore Jeremy Boudreau.

So while some students plan to leave the country completely in order to visit family, others are hoping to stay in the comfort of their homes and be with those closest to them for the holidays.

“I’m just going to be staying at home with my family for Christmas. I wanted to be able to see some family outside of California but because of the spreading Omicron variant, my family and I decided that it would be best if we just celebrated the holidays from our home,” said junior Holly Latuska.

But no matter what destination or plans people have for this special day, they can agree that the holidays in general are a very special time for reconnecting with family and friends.

“The holidays are one of the two times of the year where I get to go back to Canada and talk to all of my relatives, which is a really fun occasion. So my favorite part of Christmas is just reconnecting with people,” said Boudreau. 

Other students, who are staying at home, agree with this sentiment.

“I think that Christmas is just so nice because it’s the perfect occasion to show your family how much you care for them. And of course, it’s the best time for good food and sharing laughter,” said Latuska.

The holidays are a time of family and joy. Expressions hopes that SLOHS students enjoy this valuable time.