SLOHS is past due on knowing how to use gender pronouns

Illustration courtesy of junior Chiara Thomas

Expressions feels that it’s important to discuss proper pronoun use.

Let’s start simple; a basic definition of non-binary is a person who doesn’t identify as male or female and doesn’t conform to the traditional gender binary.

The traditional gender binary being the two genders, male and female. Transgender is when someone’s sex assigned at birth doesn’t correspond with their gender identity. Students need to find a way to properly use pronouns.

“There’s a right way to do it” to “create an inclusive environment,” said Principal Rollin Dickinson. He suggests doing it privately so that students can feel safe sharing if they want to. 

In the past few years, numerous celebrities have come out as non-binary or gender non-conforming. Among those are pop singer Demi Lavato, pop singer Sam Smith, actor Jonathan Van Ness, actor Indya Moore, and basketball player Layshia Clarendon. 

Many have also come out as transgender, such as actor Hunter Schafer, actor Josie Totah, and actor Elliot Page.

As celebrities continue to come out, it has allowed for greater representation of non binary and transgender people in media and pop culture. This representation has inspired non binary and transgender students to feel more comforable coming out as well. 

However, it has also proven to be controversial amongst school boards.

The fight for trans and nonbinary rights in schools is continuous and important. 

In 2019, the Trevor Project estimated almost 2 percent of highschool students identify as transgender. In 2021, one in four LGBTQ+ youth identified as nonbinary. Some schools in the U.S. have already started to include non binary as a gender option on enrollment forms and gender neutral restrooms on campus. 

However, we are behind the times here at SLOHS.

On campus, we have been struggling with the issue of accessibility to gender-neutral bathrooms and dressing rooms, as well as the use of correct pronouns on campus. 

Expressions spoke with chemistry teacher Rowan Lowden. Lowden has been teaching at SLOHS for two years now and this is his first year on campus. 

When it comes to asking students their pronouns, they use a survey that asks students what their preferred name is and their pronouns are. 

“I have another line that says ‘what pronouns do you use?’ Then students can put pronouns in. And then I asked who I can use those pronouns with,” said Lowden.

This is a really effective and safe way to make sure that students feel comfortable in class.

“I know that that can be really scary to self advocate and send an email and say, ‘these are my pronouns, I want to be referred to as such,’” Lowden added. 

It’s past time to take action on SLOHS campus so students can come to school unafraid to be misgendered in classes.

Sources: forbes.com, time.com, thetrevorproject.org, washingtonpost.com