The 1975’s “People” Isn’t Pleasing All People

The 1975 (It’s a band name, silly) lead singer Matty Healy and his fellow bandmates have introduced amazing music to fans at San Luis Obispo High School. Anyone interested in The 1975 can’t help but wonder what was running through Healy’s mind when he self-directed his newest song and video, “People,” which premiered on August 22.

“I felt as if The 1975 went a little overboard. I was most certainly surprised, but as I thought about it, I realized that the abnormality of it may have been purposeful,” said freshman Zoey Nielson. 

Filled with wild yellow colors, strange camera angles, a heavy Marilyn Manson vibe, and a lot of screaming, it’s possible that Healy has lost his mind. After all, The 1975 released their first, second, and third albums with chill and emotional songs. All of them had at least one song dealing with world issues. But, apparently, after their powerful hit “Love It If We Made It”, Healy and his bandmates were inclined to continue on with addressing major world problems, but on a much more aggressive scale.

Many agree that the absolute wildness of the song could have just been to draw attention to things the song was bringing up. “People” is specifically about modern issues, from our world being lazy to the risk of suicide. The lyrics are short, but the video is loud and hard to miss, which gets the point across.

“I didn’t know what to expect. When I watched the video it was very crazy. It was a little over the top, but I can see how people would like it,” said freshman Allison Cadena. 

She, along with others, did not like the song, but does like the band. In fairness, it was a harsh transition from all of the previous, calm, The 1975 songs, to this blaring new age. 

However, not everyone can be pleased, with or without the new song. 

“They have a new song? I didn’t know that because I don’t like them,” said freshman Justin Dolezal. 

“People” was quite a shock for The 1975 fans, but we aren’t giving up hope on their amazing music from before. Their new album, “Notes on a Conditional Form” comes out on February 21, 2020.  

To watch “People”, click the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKdPxXWm7Jg