Newspaper Survival tips from your 2019 Editors

Every year at San Luis Obispo High School, each group of Expressions editors and reporters bring a different and unique style to the newspaper every month.

However, one thing everyone has in common is the fact that although this class is rewarding and allows for all sorts of creativity, it doesn’t mean you’ll have an easy time. Expressions editors from the class of 2019 are here to help with some short pieces of advice.

Graduate Editor Kaylee Beardsley: Pay attention to the feedback your editors give you because it moves articles in the right direction, and it’ll get you a higher grade.

Graduate Editor in Chief Kara Hoover: Write about what you think is important and don’t worry about what people have to say about it. When you’re writing with passion the rest comes naturally.

Graduate Editor Jena Naficy: Anyone can get an A in newspaper, it all depends on how willing you are to follow directions… and stay on Nairne’s good side (what bad side?).

Graduate Editor Zoey Nitzel: Utilize the tools Nairne gives you to your advantage. Use the charter and the process because a lot of the time the thing you’re confused about is explained on one of those papers.

As a former editor, my parting words are that this class has been one of the few and possibly the only class that I’ve enjoyed. Even when I was a reporter, the fact that you get to write about your passions and see your work published every month is an amazing feeling. I highly recommend aspiring to become an editor for Expressions if you end up enjoying it as much as we all did. Best of luck!