What Has Chess Club Been Up To?

All of Chess Club smiles for the picture. Photo courtesy of senior Julia Rizzo.

Chess Club is one of the many clubs offered here at San Luis Obispo High School. Every Thursday at lunch, club members meet to play against fellow chess players.

“Even though [chess] may seem boring for some people, for me it’s fun playing with friends,” said next year’s Chess Club president and current sophomore Diego Ortiz Reyes.

After voting to switch their club advisor to Birdsall, the club has been discussing future events and plans.

There are no chess tournaments in the next month, however in April there are plans for one.

“In late April [we are planning] to have a chess tournament that will hopefully be USCF rated and easily accessible, more information on this coming soon,” said current Chess Club president and senior Julia Rizzo.

Meanwhile, club members continue to meet and play to hone their chess skills or just to have fun.

“A game of chess isn’t too much different from a conversation,” said Rizzo.

So, you want to join Chess Club, but don’t know how to play chess? Don’t worry, it’s a friendly and welcoming club for those who want to learn! 

“It’s very casual. Everyone is allowed to join at any time whatsoever,” said Chess Club secretary and senior Sierra Sharp.

Come to Chess Club on Thursdays during lunch in room 901 and have a blast playing and making friends!