Are SLOHS Students Happy with the Commons?

The new Commons is peaceful without the insane line. Photo courtesy of junior Colin Doyle.

After its opening on August 17 2024, the San Luis Obispo High School Commons was intended to be a space where every student can have lunch, but this might not be the reality.  

Some people see this space as a fun place to hang out with friends, but others see it as overcrowded and loud.  

“It is one of the best cafeteria areas and food distribution places I have seen at any school,” said assistant principal Josh Garcia.

The Commons is a big space with lots of people being able to hang out. It also keeps students  warm and dry when it is cold and rainy, or it provides cover when it is just too hot outside.

“It’s important to have a place for students to come together and hang out together and have some good food,” said principal Rollin Dickinson. 

However, the Commons can also be overwhelming to students who have sensory issues or don’t feel comfortable in large crowds. Also, it doesn’t have enough tables for everyone, even if it is rainy or cold outside. This leads to a good amount of students having to eat in the hallways.

“It is too crowded, there’s a lot of columns and the big wall right in the middle of it is very annoying,” said junior Sage Meeks.

Even if the students don’t all dislike the Commons, everyone still has the opportunity of enjoying the bigger classrooms and the new grass areas that were made in conjunction with the new Commons.

If students have any ideas on how to make the new Commons or any part of the school better they can contact administration or Expressions by commenting below.