Want to Make Some Extra Money? Become A Poll Worker!

NinaZRamezani

The 2020 elections are arriving very soon, but without poll workers, how can there be an election at all? Since COVID-19 puts a threat to the older generations, as well as people with underlying health issues, many adults do not feel comfortable working the polls. It is now the time for young people, like students at San Luis Obispo High School, to step up and be the heroes for the upcoming election. 

Some of our own SLOHS students are signed up to be poll workers. 

“I signed up to be a poll worker not to just help make this election a success, but also make some extra cash. I’m really excited about helping out and I recommend this to other high schoolers, as it looks great on resumes as well,” said junior Nina Ramezani. 

Here are five reasons why SLOHS students should consider being a poll worker in this year’s election. 

1. Students can get paid at least one hundred dollars. As high school and college students, money is something that can be hard to get, but this is a simple and easy way to earn some extra cash!

2. Students are standing up for racial justice. Many people of color have difficulties voting due to the lack of polling stations, as well as very long lines. By being a poll worker they can help people of color get the opportunity to vote all across America. 

3. It looks great on resumes. Adding that a student worked as a poll worker for the elections shows that they care deeply about their country and want to be able to help the people of The United States vote. 

4. Students are helping us protect democracy. When thinking about what they can do to help their country, this is a perfect way. They are allowing the 2020 elections to be a success, which is widely important because the elections are the basis of democracy. 

5.  Students get to help other people vote. Although they may not be able to vote, they are there to help other citizens vote. Many people still may need help on how to cast their votes, and that is where students can be their biggest help, guiding them in the right direction. 

Elections are important to our country and because COVID-19 has put a huge risk on elderly poll workers, now is the time for students to step up and help America make the 2020 elections a success. 

For more information, or to become a poll worker, visit https://www.pollhero.org/