Congratulations for a Great Season, girls volleyball team!

Three feet in the air and poised for a spike. Photo courtesy of freshman Calypso Marcum.

Overall, the girls volleyball teams at San Luis Obispo High School have been impressive throughout the year. With an august win-lose ratio, it’s difficult to think differently. Players love it, and have positive things to say.

“I would never choose a different sport other than volleyball. It’s probably the biggest part of my life and Coach Meaney is a great coach. She really holds together our program and makes everybody feel welcomed,” said junior varsity volleyball player and sophomore Emma Knight.

The volleyball team’s season ended on November 8 with twenty-six wins to six losses for varsity. Junior varsity got first in League.

Volleyball is a sport where two teams of six hit a ball over a net in the hopes of getting the other team to miss the ball. Should the team not return the ball, the opposing team gets a point. Volleyball isn’t only about physical skills, though. Mental skills are just as important.

“You definitely need a lot of focus and you have to be able to keep a positive mind cuz you know there will be times where you’re down a lot of points, and you have to put that aside and push through,” said junior varsity volleyball player and freshman Lillian Gracia.

The team, like a lot of sports teams at SLOHS, has a great community.

“My team [is my favorite part of playing volleyball]. Just being around them, in the gym, and outside of school, traveling and stuff on the bus. It’s always super fun just to be around them. I love to spend every moment with them as long as I can,” said varsity volleyball player and senior Kylie Meas.

The girls volleyball team had an amazing trimester overall. Congratulations to them!