Ending the Age-Old Debate: Pineapple on Pizza

Photo courtesy of goodfood.com.

Every student at San Luis Obispo High School knows the big age-old debate: Should pineapple go on pizza?

The answer is yes.

Obviously.

Pineapple being on pizza has become a highly controversial topic within the past couple of years. People all over the world discuss whether or not it’s a sin to put pineapple on a beloved baked crust with toppings. 

“Pineapples on pizza can make the pizza taste sweet, which can be good, though some people don’t like that,” said sophomore Maria Linggi.

Pineapple has been a topping on pizza, in the form of “Hawaiian Pizza”, since 1962. Hawaiian pizza was first made by Sam Panopoulous at the Satellite Restaurant in Toronto, Canada. 

The debate of pineapple vs. no pineapple on pizza really heated up on Twitter in January 2017 after a certain tweet went viral. This tweet, made by @OriginalSDM, read “Wuss poppin twitter, retweet to ruin a pineapple on pizza haters timeline” and had a picture of a piece of pizza with a heap of pineapple on top of it. 

Just this tweet alone sparked the first (of many) Twitter controversies of 2017. However, the debate only just started in 2017, still continuing to be a controversy to this day.

This tweet debate began to overtake the entirety of Twitter when famous celebrities started saying their opinions. It continued to trend throughout the spring in 2017 when a tweet surfaced about a pizza delivery man declining to put pineapple on a pizza someone had ordered.

After this tweet was trending, the pizza delivery man was either hated on by pineapple on pizza enthusiasts or praised and called a hero by pineapple on pizza haters.

Everyone weighed in, including Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, tweeting “I have a pineapple. I have a pizza. And I stand behind this delicious Southwestern Ontario creation”.

Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with Trudeau.

“Pineapple on pizza is just cursed, period,” said sophomore Alexis Palmaymesa.

Not liking pineapple on pizza is an opinion, and I respect that, but it’s incorrect.

Now that you, dear reader, know the origins and history of pineapple being on pizza, let me tell you two specific reasons why pineapple belongs on pizza.

First of all, let’s talk about the health benefits of pineapple, as pineapple has many. It’s a great source of Vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. These vitamins not only help with blood pressure and digestion, but benefit your overall health. Why would you hate a pizza topping that could improve your health? 

Secondly, pineapple is meant to be on pizza. Genuine science proves this. When you taste the savory flavor of your pizza, you can have a much needed mix of a sweet taste when you add pineapple. 

“I enjoy pineapple on pizza because of the extra moisture/water from the fruit,” said sophomore Chiara Thomas.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own preferences. Though, if you dislike pineapple on pizza, at least give it one more chance, you may be surprised to find you actually enjoy it.

Sources: spoonuniversity.com , goodfood.com