What Went on Behind the Scenes of National FFA Week?

Photo Courtesy of California R-1 High School FFA

Friday wrapped up the end of National FFA Week. Each day, San Luis Obispo High Schools’ agriculture students worked hard to keep the activities up and running. 

On Tuesday, the students put together a teacher appreciation breakfast and special boxes for each of them. 

“We set up a huge breakfast in the teachers’ lounge and everyone came in and got their special breakfast. The boxes were filled with little succulents, pencils, an ‘I support FFA’ pin, and some fruit for them to enjoy throughout the week” said senior and SLO FFA Sentinel Katie Montes. 

Wednesday was all about the animals as the students set up a petting zoo near the administration building at lunch. 

“This was definitely a tricky one for us to set up and it took a while but I think it paid off and the students really enjoyed it. We had reptiles, a miniature horse, and some of our FFA dogs,” said Montes. 

On Thursday, the FFA students woke up extra early and spread some positivity in their Morning Wave inside the parking lot as students drove in. 

“We had made the signs the previous week so we could go and stand on the corners of the parking lot and wave at all the cars as they arrived at school. We played music and just tried to spread some of that FFA positivity,” said sophomore Tess Bolster White.

Friday was the perfect day for our FFA chapter to carry on their tradition for over twenty years: FFA on the hill. FFA students climb the hill behind campus and spell out ‘FFA’ with white sheets. They keep it up all day and reclimb it after school to take it down.  

“It gets people asking about FFA because they see the giant name on the hill and it’s a really fun activity to be a part of. People ask ‘what is FFA?’ and so maybe they go home and they Google it or they ask somebody else about it,” said Bolster White.

The real purpose behind FFA week is to get awareness for the FFA and find out what it’s truly about. Through the use of these activities, people start to ask questions about FFA. 

With over 735,000 members nationwide, the FFA has a large impact in all 50 states. Teaching kids about the importance of agriculture and animal education is what the FFA is all about, but there’s more to it than you might think.

“Everyone thinks that it’s just livestock when it’s really not. In fact, not a large number of our members ever raise an animal. FFA week can help bring attention to the other types of members like our public speakers” said Montes. 

Although FFA Week is over, our SLO chapter won’t stop rocking it. This Thursday, March 3, eight students will head to King City to compete at Regionals in competitions such as Creed Public Speaking, Impromptu, Extemporaneous, Prepared, and Job Interview. Let’s wish all our tigers good luck!