What activities do SLOHS students do when it rains?

Photo courtesy of San Luis Obispo Tribune  

The rainy season has finally started in San Luis Obispo, and the high school students are enjoying cozy activities. Many are welcoming the cold overcast weather after a long, hot fall.

It is sunny today, but next week is forecast to be rainy.

We asked three students what their favorite rainy day activities were. These students include seniors Cody Barrigerand Samuel Reichmuth, and sophomore Chiara Thomas. 

Expressions: What about your routine changes when the rainy season starts?

Senior Cody Barriger: Any time I would be outside I find somewhere else to be, and occasionally I may choose to do something that would otherwise be out of my way. 

Sophomore Chiara Thomas: I start preparing some more clothing in the evenings. I do that in warm months too, but it’s especially important during the rainy season so I remember to wear enough layers. Having premade outfits makes less hassle once I’m up in the morning.

Senior Sammy Reichmuth: My car gets used a lot more. I also wear warmer clothes.

Expressions: When it rains, are you more likely to stay inside and cozy up, or go out and enjoy the rain?

Barriger: I definitely like staying inside.

Thomas: When I was little I would go outside in the puddles. Now, I quite enjoy staying bundled inside. Once I get my rain barrels set up, I don’t want to get wet.

Reichmuth: Definitely go out and enjoy the rain because we don’t get a lot of rain around here.

Expressions: What are some activities that you do when it rains?

Cody Barriger: I sometimes sit in the dark when it’s raining late at night, in front of my window, and play piano. Otherwise I sometimes will watch a movie or read a book in the overcast light.

Thomas: I typically stay inside. Doing art when the vibe of rain is nice, getting in pajamas very early in the evening, generally staying cozy.

Reichmuth: I like to mudslide in my truck.

Expressions: What is your favorite rainy day activity?

Barriger: A very difficult question, I generally do whatever I do but with extra enjoyment from the ambiance of the rain.

Thomas: I quite like napping during rain time. I don’t nap often, but the temperature drop, darker skies, and white noise makes it easier for me to sleep.

Reichmuth: Driving really fast.

Expressions: Do you prefer cold weather or hot weather?

Barriger: Cold weather all the way.

Thomas: I prefer cold weather. In cold weather, you can usually choose to be warm. In hot weather, you can rarely choose to be cold.

Reichmuth: I like hot weather because I like to surf.