Skinny Jeans are Out of Style and Baggy Pants are in. This is a good thing.

Photo courtesy of freshman Jack Culbreath.  

The popular trend of skinny jeans in recent years is dying out, and for good reasons. Some students at San Luis Obispo High School were eager to share their opinions on the matter.

“If I was going to pick something to wear to go outside, it would not be skinny jeans,” said freshman Hayden Hall.

Skinny jeans are in no way modern fashion. Cut off ankles, stiff angled legs, and a dated silhouette are all large factors in their unappealing stature in 2021.

Not only are skinny jeans unfashionable, they are wildly inconvenient. Extremely tight pockets and slim fit legs only make for an awkward shape and restriction of movement. 

“It’s unnecessary and unethical,” Hall said in regards to SLOHS students wearing skinny jeans.

Instead of skinny jeans and tight shirts, baggy substitutes are entering mainstream teens’ clothing and fashion. The days of tightly fitting clothes are gone, welcoming a new era of baggy pants and oversized clothing.

Additionally, skinny jeans are a product of fast fashion microtrends that produce unnecessary waste when out of style.

Buying vintage or alternative oversized clothing has additional environmental benefits. Getting second hand or used clothing is sustainable and helps decrease waste and the cycle of harmful fast fashion. Used pants and other relaxed-fit clothing items are common at thrift stores and other second hand apparel stores.

Skinny jeans are neither trendy nor ethical. Lay skinny jeans to rest.