“Sex Education”: A Netflix comedy where queer relationships aren’t perfect, but they’re real

Photo courtesy of The Geekiary.

Many recent popular Netflix shows have featured a refreshingly new taste of queer characters, exploring their storylines that once would have been occupied by straight ones. Yet too often, they get it wrong, creating a fake on-screen romance that isn’t a reality for many.

With the release of its third season, “Sex Education” breaks the mold showing it all: the good, the ugly, and the difficult. It’s entertaining to watch for everyone, but more specifically something to explore for students at San Luis Obispo High School struggling with their own storylines.

“Watching ‘Sex Education’ is a refreshing break from the diluted, unrealistic queer story lines in other tv shows and movies. I really appreciate the casting of queer characters for queer roles,” senior Stella McSween.

The show stars sex expert Otis Milburn (actor Asa Butterfield), who must navigate high school life while giving out advice about sex and stumbling through his own sexual and romantic experiences. He’s the main character, and he seems to be one of the only characters without any queer storyline. 

His best friend, Eric Effiong played by actor Ncuti Gatwa is gay and unapologetically so. He eventually dates Adam, played by actor Connor Swindells who once was Eric’s bully. He is not out to his parents, and very insecure about his sexuality, especially in public. 

Their relationship goes through a rollercoaster of ups and downs. It isn’t all pretty or romantic but it’s real, exploring the hardships of gay dating in a world where it isn’t a norm. Adam for example, struggles to hold hands with Eric at school because other guys laugh at him. Adam also hides his relationship with Eric from his mom and continues to tell her they are just friends. Painful to watch, but comforting and actually relatable.

And it doesn’t just stop at dating. Anwar Bakshi (actor Chaneil Kular), after being enraged that the school teaches abstinence during sex education class and makes being gay seem shameful, visits the sexual health clinic. Here, he gets advice about safe sex and using PrEp (a form of protection against HIV/AIDS) which is another aspect of gay dating that is too often glossed over in other TV shows.

Overall, “Sex Education” is quite spot-on when it comes to high school on not just being queer but other things like mental health or healthy relationships. It provides great comedic relief and a sense of belonging, especially for those who don’t usually belong front and center in TV.