Best Spots to get Senior Photos Taken

With this 2019-2020 San Luis Obispo High School senior year coming to an end, senior photos seem like a far away past. But, in a few short months 2020-2021 seniors will embark on their last year as a highschool student remembered by their senior photos. The pressure is on to make these photos the best and SLOHS Expressions has your back. 

“Living in San Luis Obispo county means there are a TON of great photo spots for Senior Photos, from rugged nature trails to seaside coves. I’m always on the lookout for great photo spots,” said digital photo teacher Zach Roper. 

Many seniors chose to take photos in two different landscapes either one being by the beach or the other being in a field of some sort. For either one Roper has some great spots to choose from. 

“Montana de Oro State Park: there are some many great spots here for photos, from huge rolling sand dunes, to eucalyptus tree forests, and really interesting rock formations by the water. With so many different environments you can pretty much find one that matches your style. As well as the Piers at Avila and Pismo: piers create some really great leading lines if you have your model stand in the middle of the pier (or underneath the deck)

Some other tips would be to use a lens with a large aperture,” said Roper when asked about beach backgrounds for photos. 

Roper was also quick to give some ideas for open landscapes. 

“Bishop’s Peak Trail off of Foothill Blvd: there’s usually lots of horses and cattle on this slope in the late afternoon, and it gets excellent light at sunset,” said Roper.

Though backgrounds of photos can really help it comes down to trial and error. Don’t be afraid to try different poses and make sure the camera is shooting all the time, some of the best photos are just catching raw emotions.