Which Hairstyles Make or Break Someone’s Looks?

These hairstyles show a multitude of personalities and style. Collage courtesy of senior Cassiopeia Mamaradlo.

If there’s one thing teenagers care about, especially students at San Luis Obispo High School, it’s their hairstyles. It’s a known fact among students that a change in hairstyle can transform one’s looks. Just how true is this statement at SLOHS?

In today’s outlook of fashion and self-expression, the possibilities for hairstyles are unlimited. From curly long hair to sharp, edgy styles, students at SLOHS are rocking diverse ranges of styles. Additionally, the availability of hair dye brings personal expression on a different level, allowing students to experiment with vibrant hues or subtle highlights to convey their aesthetics.

“For guys, [I like] messy hair, medium shorter length and not super put together… and for girls, I really like layers and dimensions. I think it looks really cute,” said junior Sofia Sison.

What’s the science behind the allure of a charming hairstyle?

The attraction to well-groomed hair goes beyond mere aesthetics. Apparently, our hair is a reflection of our self-care habits.  Psychologists state that when we invest time and effort into styling our hair, it not only enhances our physical appearance but also boosts our self-esteem and confidence, which makes a person more interesting. 

“Personally, I like to do a middle part or a slick back while keeping my hair cut consistently because it makes me feel put-together and confident. For girls, I like the slick ponytails because they’re clean looks. If [someone’s hair] doesn’t look well kept and greasy then it just looks like they don’t take care of themselves,” said junior Logan Laxamana.

Styling your hair takes time and money, and it varies for different hair types. Specifically, curly-haired people could use hair cream, detanglers, and hair gels while straighter hair styles simply need volumizing sprays and other products. 

“I really like hair braids for girls, dyed hair, or simple bandanas because they’re fast yet they elevate your look easily. For guys I like subtle wolfcuts on curly hair… I usually only take five minutes on my hair and sometimes do it while driving,” said senior Shannon Lucero. 

It’s clear that the best hairstyles at SLOHS are the ones that show effort and self-expression. Whether it’s through experimenting with different cuts, colors, or styles, students are finding creative ways to show their character and boost their confidence. 

Sources: wkutalisman.com, medium.com