SLOHS’ Most Overlooked Sport is One of the Most Entertaining

Strength isn’t just about gaining muscles and getting physically powerful, it’s about overcoming the things students thought were impossible. Photo courtesy of senior Téa Fischer.

Track and Field is a very popular sport at San Luis Obispo High School. Last year they won the California Interscholastic Federation Central Section Division 2 competition. While this is great, it’s also one of the less supported sports at SLOHS, especially when it comes to shot put.

“In Track people mostly come to see the sprinters,” said freshman Ella Staniec.

It makes sense why people would want to see sprinters, it’s more entertaining and thrilling. People find it more enjoyable watching faster pace events.

Throws are different, it takes a much longer time to complete. Watching kids throw metal objects into the air sounds boring, however, this is a team. SLOHS is very support-oriented when it comes to teammates.

“We gain enough support, however it does not have a lot of exposure. We’re kind of tucked away in the corner,” said sophomore Luca Petterson.

No one quite understands throws. Many think it’s easy as if all one has to do is pick up a metal ball and throw it. When, in all reality,  it’s so much harder than that. 

“It takes strength. You’re in the weight room trying to get physically strong. It takes speed, you have to be fast in a very small space, and it takes awareness, body awareness. There are no other events out here that require those three to master,” said former Track and Field coach Kathy Devaney.

The mechanics are easy to learn, it’s the mastering and the drive to do it that’s the challenge.

“Those kids who run, your coach stands there with his watch, says, ‘go’ and then clicks [it] again when you cross the line. All you gotta do is run that way as fast as you can. Jumping, you [do] have to get a mark, you gotta go into the pit. But, working with an implement in your hand and having to release it safely further than anyone else so that you can win or [go] farther than you ever have before takes thousands and thousands and thousands of throws. That’s why the best throwers in the world tend to be in their late twenties and early thirties,” said Devaney.

Throwing is the most difficult and frustrating thing to master, but it’s also very rewarding.

“I love it. It’s a great way to release pent-up energy, or anger, or just take out all of your feelings onto a metal object and just [throw] it as far as you can,” said Staniec.

The best feeling is getting a personal record, but also when one’s teammates are sitting on the sidelines cheering on. That feeling of support and encouragement is a feeling that cannot be described.

“The athletes who do throws cling to one another to feel supported, to feel their esteem is in check, to feel what it they’re doing. This is the most frustrating thing I ever learned to do as an athlete, and when you have a teammate, a team that’s there with you, it lessens the frustration,” said Devaney.

Yes, it’s difficult and really aggravating. The hardest part about throws is the negative self-talk. It’s inevitable. But it takes patience. Patience with not only oneself, but time. Trust the process, go with the flow, but have fun!

“Celebrate. Celebrate that you are out here trying to learn a very ancient discipline,” said Devaney.

If there are students, or athletes, out there that want to try something new: try throws!

“Everyone’s super sweet and uplifting, especially varsity throwers. They’re willing to help and just help us move along and get to the point. Most of them are seniors, so they’re trying to build the next foundation for whos gonna come after them, after they graduate. It’s really fun and the people are great and I would totally recommend like ten out of ten!” said Staniec.

Track and Field have their fourth meet of the season today at 3:30! More than forty students are a part of shot put, as well as discus. Be sure to make a stop by the shot put rings to cheer on our Tigers!