An Unsanitary Habit: Licking Fingers To Pass Out Assignments

Paper assignments can transfer germs between teachers and students. Graphic courtesy of Canva AI.

All high school students, including those at San Luis Obispo High School, have had a teacher or two who licks their finger when passing out papers to the class in order to save time in grabbing each sheet. 

Those who do this may not view it as anything, particularly serious, however, it is extremely gross and unsanitary.

“I had this teacher last year, and once when he was passing out an assignment he licked his finger to grab the paper, and a gray smudge was left on it. It was probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen in a class,” said senior Cole Regna.

Nobody wants to touch paper covered with other people’s spit, no matter if it’s just an “easier way to grab the sheets of paper.” Ignoring the possible spread of viruses, this habit also just makes it obvious when someone doesn’t have good hygiene. 

“I think it’s gross because they give it to you and then you have to touch that paper. You don’t know what’s been in their mouth and there’s a bunch of germs,” said an anonymous senior.

Forcing students to have to touch papers covered in someone else’s saliva is just extremely icky.

This also poses a number of health concerns, especially in a world that is still recovering from and experiencing the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“I think it’s pretty disgusting because it spreads germs and it’s not very sanitary,” said senior Jayleen Graciano. 

Teachers should be taking care to keep both themselves and their students safe from sickness. The few seconds this practice may save when passing out assignments is not worth transferring so many germs around the classroom.

This unsanitary habit should be stopped, as it would increase cleanliness and safety at school, as well as prevent students from feeling grossed out.