The Summer Experience: SLOHS’s Take on Summer School has a new principal

Photo Courtesy of SLCUSD.org

San Luis Obispo High School is offering summer courses this year June 20-July 8 and July 11-29. The courses have been renamed “the Summer Experience” and certain academic courses are available for credit. SLOHS principal Rollin Dickinson is not the principal for the summer. Perhaps he is ready for a break. Instead, meet lead counselor Chris Inman, who is stepping in as Summer Experience principal along with Pacific Beach High School English teacher Stacey Nairne, for 2022. For more information on the summer program, Expressions talked to Inman.

Expressions: What makes the summer experience different from summer school?

SLOHS Counselor and 2022 Summer Experience Principal Chris Inman: The main difference between Summer Experience and Summer School is that Summer Experience has added support classes and enrichment classes for rising 1st through 8th graders throughout the district.

Expressions: Have you ever had a position like this before? If so, what was it?

Inman: I have not had a position like this before, but as Lead Counselor, I have helped with the creation of a registration process for Summer School in the past.

Expressions: What is the goal for students who complete this program?

Inman: The goal for students doing Summer Experience is dependent on what they are signed up for and the grade level they are in: For 1-8, there is a combination of relearning important material, playing sports, and learning some great skills. For High Schoolers, they are focusing on either credit/grade recovery or original credit work.

Expressions: What classes are offered this year?

Inman: All high school enrichment courses were canceled due to low enrollment and other 1-8 enrichment opportunities may also be removed, depending on enrollment and/or staffing.

Expressions: Do you have any words of encouragement / advice for summer experience students?

Inman: Enjoy the amazing, fun, and free experience this summer!

Enrichment courses refer to courses set to developing life skills or fun experiences, rather than academic credit. 

Senior Morgan Howland is attending the summer experience.

“I am taking summer school because I’d like to take calculus next year. I enjoy math for some reason probably because all my favorite teachers are math teachers. Also I’m not gonna be doing much over the summer so I might as well do something useful. I am hoping to get better at trig because I find it interesting and I just want to better my understanding of math overall. I am excited to take my first summer class because it’s something new and I’d like to see how it goes,” said Howland.

The summer experience is an exciting opportunity for all students attending the courses. By taking these courses, students are furthering their education and preparing for new school year.