Helping Students Reach Graduation: SLOHS Counselors Have your Backs

Here are some SLOHS seniors congratulating each other on the fact that they have made it to graduation. Photo courtesy of Graphic Design teacher Jason Heimerdinger.  

At San Luis Obispo High School, graduation is right around the corner, which is incredibly exciting for most students. Behind the scenes, all the seniors were able to rely on their counselors to guide the way to a better future. 

Counselors have been there from the beginning of their high school career, working very hard to help them succeed. 

“High school counselors start when the students are in eighth grade, we go over to Laguna Middle School, educating them on how different the high school is than middle school, how they choose their classes, and how they know whether these are for graduation purposes, or if they intend to go to a four-year college, and how they are similar and different. We also help them create a four-year plan, and make sure that it meets the requirements of wherever they plan to go after high school. So after we help register them in eighth grade, then every year they’re here, we meet with them in the fall and we give them some education as far as what opportunities there are out there for their grade level and what they can be working on to get ready for the future. Then, we also meet with them in the spring, and we plan their classes for the next year,” said counselor Heather Senecal. 

However, this is just the initiation of a long journey where counselors stay in touch with their students to ensure that they are on the right track. 

“At the end of their junior year, we meet with them one on one, and we look through their transcript together, making sure nothing is missing as far as graduation requirements, but also college requirements. Again, it’s more fine-tuned as far as where they might be going at that point. And then we give them some homework to do over the summer of their junior year so that they can hit the ground running in their senior year and apply to those colleges. Additionally, we have college workshops and we have parent nights to educate the parents too in the process, and we help them fill out their applications. We help them apply for scholarships and financial aid, and we help them submit and then keep track of them, or write them letters of recommendation for certain colleges that require those,” said Senecal. 

This shows how much dedication SLOHS counselors put into creating individualized graduation plans. On many occasions, many seniors are very independent, so they don’t require a lot of special attention, but there are always challenges counselors face, such as distractions, demotivation, or anxiety because of the overwhelming feelings surrounding graduation. 

“At the very beginning of the senior year, there are a lot of challenges because it’s a great year, it’s super exciting, there are a lot of things to look forward to. But it’s also really stressful because seniors are applying to college, preparing to take tests, and they need to graduate, so of course we have a lot of anxiety around that. We do offer a lot of personal counseling, and then if it’s beyond our level of counseling, and it’s really serious, we would probably refer those students to the other mental health supports that we have on campus, making sure that their families and their parents are connected in the community,” said counselor Kerry Ingles. 

Still, most of the senior experiences are very positive and counselors have many moving instances as they see students put on their caps and gowns. 

“It’s a very emotional time for counselors as well. There are so many students who are incredible, and we know they’ve worked so hard to get to this moment. Also, we know their families are so proud of that. For many of us, it’s maybe the second, third, or even fourth generation that we’ve seen walk across our stage and it’s a big moment of happiness. Seeing them take so much pride in it really makes us feel proud,” said counselor Shelley Benson. 

As they move on to the next chapter of their lives, seniors should be thankful for everything the amazing SLOHS staff has done for them, and make sure that they take in their advice for the future. 

“Take every day as a gift. And remember once a Tiger, always a Tiger. We’ll always be here to support everyone,” said Benson. 

Remember where you come from Tigers, and everyone who has helped you get where you are, so take a moment to acknowledge your appreciation for all the counselors who have and who will help you if you ever need it.