Album Review: Migos’ “Culture”

Migos’ second studio album, titled “Culture”, was released on January 27 and immediately hit number one on Billboard’s 200. The Atlanta hip-hop trio first showed their potential when they released the hit song “Versace” featuring Drake. Migos never fails to hype up a party, and their new album is no exception.

“It was nothing different — it’s just the fact that they got their heads back on straight. I feel like Migos has been consistent ever since they been in the game but now they just almost at a peak right now. So, to really come back in the studio and get with them on this project — which, I done been on every album, every project and every mixtape they ever put out — it’s just regular chemistry. I feel like every time I make a beat and the Migos rap on it, it’s gonna be fire,” said Migos’ producer Xavier L. Dotson (Zaytoven) in a recent interview with Billboard magazine on making “Culture”.

The album starts out with the title track featuring the infamous DJ Khaled and only goes up from there, with other songs featuring Lil Uzi Vert, Gucci Mane, 2 Chainz, and Travis Scott.  With “Culture” selling close to 120,000 units, this is just the beginning of their overall success.

Being a fan of Migos, the news of their new album release was super exciting.  Unlike most of their previous work their lyrics are diverse, leaning away from their more repetitive tracks that have proven to be successful in the past.  The album includes the hit single “Bad and Boujee”, which has been played repeatedly on radio stations across the nation, aiding the albums instant fame.

If you are a fan of Migos’ past work, or rap in general, I highly recommend giving this album a listen.