The economic dangers of Online Shopping are real

Cha-ching, Cha-ching, that’s the sound that many San Luis Obispo High School students debit cards are hearing this season.

With the COVID-19 pandemic shutting down most all retail stores for multiple months, couch shopping, more widely known as online shopping has become the craze. From ordering clothes, to accessories, to random items on Amazon, it is easy to say everyone at some point heard the money dropping from their wallet. 

“I am a very avid online shopper, I browse every night on some types of websites. During quarantine I did quite a bit of online shopping until I started running out of money,” said senior Gaia Villani. 

Online shopping can become very time consuming and distracting. People may find themselves sitting and scrolling for hours just adding item after item into their shopping cart. This can go on every single day for some on multiple different websites. Carts adding up to hundreds or thousands with students whipping out their debit cards. Next thing they know, there is a package at their doorstep with all the items they ordered online. 

“I definitely prefer online shopping, it is way more convenient and I find that I am more successful in finding clothes that I wouldn’t normally pick out for myself because they are modeled on the screen. I also love receiving the package because it is as if it is a little present to yourself,” said senior Ellery Yasumoto.  

For others, online shopping can have become their business or source of income throughout COVID-19 or just always before that. They are making a living from others scrolling through apps such as Poshmark, Craigslist, Thredup, or Etsy, just to buy the things they are re-selling.  

Next time, one may want a surprise, online shop and get something delivered to your doorstep!