Seeing Rainbows: Students at SLOHS Sport Colorful Hair as a Form of Self Expression

Photo illustration courtesy of senior Kaylie Hall.

When one would wander through San Luis Obispo High School’s campus, or see others over Zoom classes, it’s easy to see that many students have bright, unnaturally colored hair. Having colorful hair undoubtedly sets students apart in a group of people, and they consider it a form of self expression and having fun. 

Some SLOHS Tigers have sported many colors over the years. “I have dyed my hair blue, green, red, pink, purple, aqua, and black. I plan on dying my hair for the foreseeable future; I can’t imagine my hair ever not being dyed,” said senior Sonja Cowgill. 

Having colorful hair differs from style and clothes as a way to distinguish your appearance because it’s far more long-lasting, and therefore makes a bolder statement. “I think people should dye their hair because it is a great form of self expression,” said senior Kathryn van Lingen. 

Dying one’s hair can also offer a fun, impulsive experience that causes no harm to anyone else. “Sometimes when you feel like you don’t have a lot of control of the things going on around you, it feels nice to be able to change something,” said van Lingen. 

Changing hair colors may seem daunting since it brings such a significant shift in one’s appearance, but it’s important to keep in mind that it’s not permanent! “If you want to do it and have any worries, just do it. Hair isn’t forever, and life is too short to not have fun with it!” said Cowgill.

While dying one’s hair might feel like a big leap to many, consider taking it and joining the rainbow at SLOHS!