Meet Steven Crow: the new computer science teacher at SLOHS from Mission Prep!

Meet Steven Crow:  the new computer science teacher at SLOHS from Mission Prep!

With the 2020 retirement of San Luis Obispo High School teacher Jan Fecho, SLOHS administration had to act fast to find a new computer science teacher. Luckily, former Mission Prep teacher Steven Crow stepped in.

Before the school year really starts to pick up, SLOHS Expressions decided to sit down and get to know the new teacher behind the computer. 

Expressions: How many years have you been teaching and where?

SLOHS Computer science teacher Steven Crow: This is my tenth year teaching at the high school level.  For the previous 9 years I have taught math, robotics, and computer science at Mission Prep.

Expressions: What made you become a teacher?

Crow: When I met my wife she was a math teacher and she was enjoying time off in the summer.  I was working at a paint store at the time and had my Contractor’s license and was doing some painting on the side.  I was up and out of the house at 6am every day of the week.  During the next school year I subbed for her a couple of times and found I really loved being in the classroom.  I had a fondness for math so I enrolled Cal Poly the following year to begin work on my single subject credential in mathematics. The following year I was hired to teach at Mission Prep.  During my second year of teaching, the robotics coach retired so I took over the robotics club and eventually made it a class. While at Mission, I saw the need for computer science courses, so I started teaching one.

Expressions: What would you be doing if you were not a teacher right now? 

Crow: If I were not a teacher right now, I would probably be working in the computer science field.  I have been interested in cybersecurity and systems administration for some time, so would probably be working in that field.

Expressions: What are some of the awkward moments on Zoom so far?

Crow: During one of the first few days of school this year, I accidentally closed Zoom during class which kicked all the students out.  The funniest/most awkward moments are when I tell a dad joke (what my children call BAD jokes) and everyone stares at me.

Expressions: Lasty, what is one thing you don’t care for at SLOHS and one thing you really like?

Crow: I enjoy food, one of my favorite things to do is eat new food at school cafeterias and snack bars.  There is currently no food being served on campus, so I have to bring my own lunch everyday.  One thing I really really like are all of the amazing students I have met and who I am continually learning about in my classes.