Childhood Nostalgia is why “Avatar: The Last Airbender” has regained massive popularity

Over the course of the last few months, Netflix has not failed to supply quality shows and entertainment to its subscribers. Recently a beloved childhood show among many was added to Netflix’s already large array of options. “Avatar: The Last Airbender”, a show popular in the early 2000s was adopted by the majority of Gen Z as one of the most popular shows in and amongst the generation. 

So why the reassurance of popularity? It’s quite simple, especially as teens get older they tend to hold onto staples of their childhood to remind them of simpler times and serve as a sort of portal into that time in their life. It’s a bit depressing, but Netflix is profiting off of it quite greatly. The purpose of the show getting put on Netflix after seemingly disappearing for about seven years was for Netflix to both resurrect the praise for this show and to announce the live action reboot the show will be getting in the coming years.

For long term Avatar fans (like the majority of gen Z) this is huge news. But if you’re not a die hard fan, here’s a few reasons why you should be, coming from a fan. 

For one the show is regarded as not only one of the best animated series ever made it’s also considered one of the best shows that’s ever been in television regardless of medium. While the show is geared towards children, it doesn’t stop anyone from enjoying it any less. Hence why the show is still gaining massive popularity, not only among the younger generation but among Gen Z as well.

If you’re not familiar, the show is about a war going on between the four nations of the world based on the four base elements: earth, fire, water, and air. In this fictional world some people are born with the ability to bend these elements. The war mentioned before was initiated by the fire nation, seemingly cruel, unforgiving, and destructive people; and the majority of the series follows children who are caught up in the war. One of the kids is an Airbender named Aang who is the Avatar; the only person in the world who can master all four elements and according to prophecy was born to keep the balance between nations and in this case defeat the fire nation. Except he’s a 12 year old boy who hasn’t mastered all the elements yet.

With an intense plot such as that it’s a little hard to imagine it as a show designed for younger audiences, but that’s the beauty of the show. It’s suitable for all ages, the fun animation and one-liners appeal to young kids, while the actual story line and characters are something that older audience tend to focus on. 

Overall, “Avatar: The Last Airbender” was one of the best shows ever created for children’s television, and before the live action reboot comes out; and the franchise takes the world by storm once again, you should probably catch up. The characters are lovable and the show is so binge worthy, the ability to watch it anytime, any episode is truly surreal to life long fans, and a luxury that shouldn’t go unnoticed.