SLO County Reopening Plan will be announced today

As 17 states across the country start to reopen their economies, San Luis Obispo County is preparing a three phase plan to do so within the local community.

A group including public health, epidemiology, and infectious disease experts produced a plan that was reviewed by local stakeholders over the past weeks.

The plan will be released to the public today.

The county cannot enter phase one of the reopening plan until the state-wide stay at home order is modified or lifted. 

“The goal is to maximize reopening opportunities for SLO County residents, businesses, and organizations in a phased manner while protecting public health and our most vulnerable populations,” said President of the SLO Chamber of Commerce Jim Dantona. 

At a press briefing on Monday, April 27, County Health officer Dr. Penny Borenstein disclosed that the first phase of the plan will recommend vulnerable populations such as older adults and those with compromised immune systems to continue to shelter at home. She did not reveal any more details about the reopening plan.

“I think everything should just be slow and steady so we have as few relapses as possible,” said senior Kathryn ZagRodny. 

The county’s announcement came just as Governor Gavin Newsom outlined a state-wide reopening plan compromised of four stages.

Stage 1 is the current stage, with a widespread shelter at home order in place and preparations being made to increase testing abilities and healthcare capacity. Stage 2 would involve some reopening of retail stores, manufacturing, and offices where teleworking is not possible. These businesses would operate in modified manners to accommodate social distancing guidelines. A presentation released by the state clarified that once the state enters Stage 2 counties will have more regional control and may have more options for variations from the state order. Stage 2 is expected to start in a matter of weeks. 

Sources: Emergencyslo.com gov.ca.gov